Updated on August 18, 2022
If you’re looking for a great mountain bike for under $300, keep reading. That’s great! This guide is for you! Mountain bikes are a godsend since they allow you to engage in a wide range of recreational pursuits. Whatever the occasion, whether it be with friends or family, you will have a great time!
Imagine yourself riding across the lush green landscape, surrounded by rolling hills and awe-inspiring vistas. We all know the health advantages of regular exercise, and mountain bikes are no exception.
As a result of this fallacy, many people believe that obtaining a quality bike on a budget is nearly impossible. A nice mountain bike under $300 is tough to come by, but it is not impossible. In order to dispel that common notion, we’ve written this tutorial.
You’ll have a hard time finding a good, cheap mountain bike if you go to the market, because you won’t know anything about the brand or the quality, and you won’t know if you can trust the vendor. That’s why we did all the legwork for you.
Best Mountain Bikes Under 300
The idea of getting an incredible mountain bike for less than $300 is unfathomable. The Xspec 26″ Folding Mountain Bike is my top pick for the guide, so that’s true. You may use this bike for daily commuting, work, fitness, and so much more. Folding bikes are pricey, but this one is a miracle.
This bike’s fantastic folding frame is manufactured from premium-quality steel, so you don’t have to be concerned about rust or dirt markings. The bike’s best characteristics include:
- Premium-Quality Folding Steel Frame
- Powerful Disc Brakes
- Strong MTB Tires
- Easily Transportable
- 21-Speed Gear
The dual suspension technology on the bike makes it incredibly resilient to vibrations and shocks, so that’s one less thing to worry about. Mountain riding requires a lot of speed, and that’s something we can get behind. So, there is a 21-speed setting so that you may simply change speeds while driving!
If you want the best stopping power, you’ll need a disc brake system. With this bike, you won’t have to worry about any head-on collisions or crashes!
The Mech MTB from Mongoose, a well-known name in affordable mountain bikes, is a sight to behold. Kids and teenagers will have the greatest fun on this mountain bike because it is designed specifically for them. The bike’s value is enhanced by the fact that it can be used by your children far into their adult years.
Even I was impressed by the traction and handling provided by the tyres’ consistent tread patterns. The selection of speed-gear is also excellent, allowing for a nearly seamless transition from one mode to the next. The bike’s best characteristics include:
- Amazing Traction
- Lightweight and Durable Aluminum Frame
- Enhanced Stopping Power
- Light and Easy To Handle
Even while mountain bikes are generally thought to be cumbersome, the Mongoose Mech MTB’s lightweight aluminium frame makes it easy to go around.
The suspension system on this wonderful bike will help keep you secure and sheltered from crashes and vibrations while riding it as well.
An aluminium 6061 frame with distinctive orange and black graphics is the centrepiece of the Schwinn Surge bicycle’s design philosophy.
For a price that’s hard to beat, the new Surge bike features alloy double wall wheels, seven gear settings, and Schwinn suspension forks.
Schwinn has been designing high-quality bicycles since 1895 and continues to establish the highest possible standard for the industry as a whole.
Features and Benefits
- The new Surge’s performance and comfort are both improved because to the frame’s 6061 aluminium construction, which combines great durability with naturally low weight.
- The 26-inch alloy double wall rims are both stylish and robust enough to handle the most challenging off-road terrain in any weather.
- For such a low price, the bike comes equipped with high-quality cable disc brakes, ensuring reliable stopping power in all weather conditions.
- Attaching and removing the rear mudguard is a cinch, making it perfect for dirty and rainy rides.
- The Schwinn Surge’s 7-speed rotational shifter makes shifting gears quick and easy, but it also limits the bike’s usability to softer ground and less demanding terrain.
- If you’re riding across tough terrain, Schwinn’s FS26 suspension fork and high-quality pneumatic tyres will keep you comfortable and happy.
The Schwinn Surge is nearly unrivalled when it comes to overall value for money. You’d expect to pay a lot more for the kind of functionality, build quality, and robust good looks included in this sub-$200 product.
It’s simple to assemble, ships 90% assembled, and comes with a comprehensive guarantee, so you can rest assured. One of the lighter bikes in this price range, it’s a joy to ride on the daily commute.
- Ultra-sophisticated looks
- Exceptionally high level of craftsmanship
- Frame made of lightweight aluminium
- Front suspension of high quality
- Assembling a vehicle is a simple process.
- Exceptional value for your money.
- The brakes could be better.
- Alignment is required.
This high-spec, 21-speed aluminium bike from Flying Mountain Bikes is an epic-sized all-terrain and all-action beast.
Flying Mountain Bikes has one again shown how affordable mountain bikes have become in recent years. It’s easy to see how far this 21-speed powerhouse stands out from bikes for as little as $230 at your local bike shop.
Features and Benefits
- With a height range of 1.65 m to 1.80 m, the high-end aluminium alloy frame provides optimum versatility and strength.
- EF500 Brake/Shift control levers positioned on the handlebars, Shimano MF-TZ500-7 14T-28T freewheel, Shimano FD-TZ50 front derailleur, Shimano RD-TY50 rear derailleur provide 21-speed settings. The KMC group. Crank with a prowheel.
- The 26″ x 1.95″ A/V tyre with puncture protection and alloy disc brakes up front and back maximise stopping capability in any weather.
- The front and rear mudguards can be installed and removed in a matter of seconds thanks to the non-slip grip on the pedals.
- Everything you need to assemble your bike at home is included when you order it from Flying Mountain Bikes, and every bike ships that way.
The handy online tutorial provided by Flying Mountain Bikes can be used by customers to learn how to assemble their bike and other relevant information.
Ahead of their closest competitors in traditional mountain bike stores, Flying Mountain Bikes continues to manufacture premium-quality rides. They are light years ahead of them.
The brakes and the super-premium shifter are particularly outstanding, as is the quality and longevity of the aluminium alloy frame. For what you get, the assembly process may be a little more difficult to put together than you imagined.
- Incredibly low prices for high-quality components.
- A high-quality aluminium alloy frame.
- Brakes and transmission of superior quality
- Suspension performance that is simply outstanding.
- Ultra-lightweight and incredibly long-lasting
- At the current pricing, it is an incredible bargain.
- a little more difficult to put together
The Boss Stealth has always been one of the company’s most popular models, having been updated and modified numerous times throughout the years.
Now with twist grip 21-speed Shimano gearing, the latest iteration of Boss Stealth features new mudguard designs and with high-quality disc brakes.
Aside from that, there’s a new front and rear suspension system, striking graphics, and a set of massive 1.95-inch rims. More crucially, the most recent version of the Boss Stealth is now again available for a bargain price.
Features and Benefits
- The Y-frame design of this 26-inch wheel dual suspension mountain bike makes it an excellent value.
- The new Stealth’s lightweight alloy rims are designed to maximise traction and durability while also reducing the vehicle’s overall weight.
- The Shimano rear derailleur and rotational shifters of the high-end 21-speed gearing system allow for smooth and simple transitions on practically any sort of terrain.
- Front and rear 160mm wavy rotor mechanical disc brakes have been added to the new Stealth by Boss for greater stopping power and consistency.
- Mudguards may be fitted or withdrawn in seconds from the front and back of the vehicle as needed.
- Stylish and easy to install, with no need for any additional tools or special abilities to put it together.
The latest edition of the Stealth from Boss has once again delivered the goods. When it comes to gearing and braking, the Stealth performs better than most bikes in this price range, especially when it comes to disc brakes.
When the road gets a little shaky, you won’t have to worry about it with this bike.
The Boss Stealth can handle anything thrown at it, from mountainous terrain to steep downhill slopes and more. However, if you plan on doing any long rides, you may want to invest in a more comfy seat.
- Brakes of the highest quality
- Excellent gearbox with 21 speeds
- The suspension and tyres are excellent.
- Long-lasting but surprisingly light
- Putting it together isn’t difficult.
- Front and rear detachable mudguards
- Fantastically designed and built.
- The saddle isn’t exactly the most pleasant place to sit.
|Item weight||40.6 lbs|
|Frame||Aluminum (No Seam Frame)|
- Large bike wheels with abrasive tread patterns
- Taking care of oneself
- the braking system’s outer rim
- Suspension with a hardtail design
- An excellent approach for cushioning impact
- A cushioned seat and a handle to hold on to
- Exceptional traction on wet and muddy areas
- Takes time to adjust the front fork
This mountain bike provides outstanding comfort thanks to its foam-padded seat and hardtail suspension. In order to prevent slipping and provide a more comfortable hold, the grip handle has been insulated with cushioning rubber.
Besides that, the wheels are built to withstand the weight of the pull-up brakes. You can always rely on this one if you’re doing half or complete braking. As a result, the pedal and frame are extremely low in weight.
This mountain bike’s overall comfort is excellent, especially considering the price.
|Item weight||39.5 lbs|
|Weight Capacity||300 lbs|
- Suspension with a hardtail design
- Gears can be set to 7-speed.
- V-brake system on the rim
- Sturdy treatment patterns with a focus on uniformity
- Repair and upkeep are both inexpensive.
- The ability to stop effectively.
- It’s simple to keep going and keep a straight path when riding.
- The excellent traction on both asphalt and off-road surfaces.
- Gear selection is limited, but it is adequate.
From asphalt to rocky terrain, this mountain bike has the right combination of tread patterns, wheel size, and gearing for an exhilarating ride. Hardtail suspension reduces the effects of bumps and rough terrain on the rider.
For shifting gears when traversing flat, uphill, or downhill terrains, the 7-speed gearbox works well enough. When it comes to stopping safely, the draw V-brake system on this vehicle is top-notch. It is simple and inexpensive to replace brake pads if necessary.
As a whole, this Schwinn mountain bike is a great option for both your kids and yourself. It’s possible to go with a larger wheel size.
Frequently Asked Questions
That concludes the buying guide, which outlined what you need to know before purchasing a mountain bike. If you have any additional questions about mountain bikes, please don’t hesitate to ask. To get the most out of what you’re reading, pay attention to every word.
What is the common wheel size for kids?
For a kid’s mountain bike, 24″ wheels are an excellent option. I think it’s a safe bet for this age group.
Do I choose a mountain bike with a rigid or hardtail suspension?
The price of a mountain bike with rigid suspension is lower than that of a hardtail model. If you’re a beginner, you can save money by going with a stiff suspension mountain bike instead of a softer one.
Do I need a mountain bike with many gears?
It all depends on your body type and the type of path you often take. A mountain bike with a wide range of gears would be great if you frequently ride downhill or uphill.. If, on the other hand, you ride a lot of flat and smooth trails, then an MTB with fewer gears would be fine for your needs.
Hey, all I am Joe Marino I love to ride bikes and teach others how to ride them. Most of my articles are about which bike is best for others. I am passionate about cycling and it shows, whether I am writing about a $25 bicycle from any random website or a $5000 Santa Cruz.
I have always been the guy who gets calls from friends while at work asking which bike they should buy. I have written about the best city bike for commuting, the best folding bike for use on public transit, and even what to keep in mind when shopping for kids’ bikes.
You can follow my blog and read all of my other articles on my website.