Updated on August 18, 2022
If you haven’t noticed, gravel bicycles have begun to resemble old-school mountain bikes in recent years. Wider tyres, suspension technology, and large cassettes all have an odd resemblance to simpler times.
Additionally, flat bars are becoming increasingly prominent in some standard builds.
You no longer have to hunt for a vintage stiff Stumpjumper on eBay to relive the 1982 vibes. To illustrate the current level of this trend, we compiled a list of our top flat bar dirt bikes under $2000 for 2021.
To help us narrow our selection and gain a better understanding of this developing category, here are three criteria that qualify these six flat bar gravel bikes as’stoke certified.’
1x Drivetrain – A popular choice for modern gravel constructions, 1x drivetrains are lighter, simpler, and provide enough gearing with today’s wider cassettes.
Look for 38-42t road front chainrings linked with 10 to 12-speed MTB derailleurs and cassettes at the rear. This combination should provide comfortable gearing while maintaining a high level of durability and performance.
Road Plus – Proven to enhance the ride and increase enjoyment, 650b wheel/tire combinations are required for that authentic gravel factor.
The majority of these bikes are equipped with 650b tyres, although others include bigger tyres on a 700c frame. All of these bikes are capable of handling both tire/rim combinations, making it simple to upgrade or switch between sets.
Sub-$2,000 – While great bikes do not have to be prohibitively costly, there is a sweet spot that balances price and quality.
With a budget of less than $2000, we believe that these six bikes, with their proven specifications and robust steel or alloy frames, should provide years of enjoyment.
Related Article: Why Is My Bike Making A Creaking Noise When Pedaling
Best Flat Bar Bike
1. SEQUEL TO JAMIS
- Flat bar gravel bike 2021 Jamis Sequel – gravelstoke’s top six flat bar gravel bicycles
- Steel/Steel FRAME/FORK
- TIRE MAXIMUM SIZE 27.5 X 2.1″
- 68MM THREADED BOTTOM BRACKET
- 12 X 100MM / 12 X 142MM DROPOUTS (F/R)
- WTB Byway 650 x 47c TIRE SPECIFICATIONS
- Shimano Deore 10-speed DRIVETRAIN
- 40t Front / 11-42 Rear GEARING
- Jamis is no stranger to making rugged dirt bikes, as evidenced by the company’s numerous Renegade trims that are built to survive the weather.
- The Sequel is their urban Renegade, constructed with Reynolds double-butted chromoly tubes to provide a soft ride on top of 650b wheels capable of handling anything your local paved or dirt roads can throw at you.
- The Sequel comes with an excellent overall construction kit that includes 12mm thru-axles, hydraulic disc brakes, and a 1 x 10 drivetrain fitted with Deore.
- In comparison to the other bikes on our list, the Sequel is distinguished by its cool Mahogany colour and top tube bag mount for increased storage.
PRICE $1,100 UNITED STATES DOLLARS
Related Article: How To Measure Bike Axle Size
2. Dr Dew flat bar gravel bike
- FRAME/FORK ALUMINUM/ALUMINUM
- 650b X 47mm MAXIMUM TIRES
- FSA ROAD MEGA EXO 68mm BOTTOM BRACKET
- 12 X 100MM / 12 X 142MM DROPSOUTS (F/R)
- WTB Horizon 650x47c TIRE SPECIFICATIONS
- Shimano Deore 12-speed TRANSMISSION
- 38t Front/11-42 Rear GEARING
- Since 2002, Kona has been producing Dews, and the current version is no exception.
- The Dr Dew is one of numerous models in Kona’s urban lineup, and one of its features is the brand’s Cromoly tubing, which provides the ideal firm ride.
- While steel is less expensive, no other material provides the shock absorption, durability, and soft ride characteristics that a flat-bar gravel rig requires.
- This Dew is finished beautifully with Shimano’s new 12-speed Deore groupset, a WTB Volt saddle, and WTB Horizon 650x47c tyres.
3. RONDO BOOZ 4
Flat Bar Gravel Bike 2021 Rondo Booz – Best Flat Bar Gravel Bikes 2021 \sFRAME/FORK Steel/Carbon
MAX SIZE OF THE TIRES 27.5 X 47 centimeters
BRACKET AT THE BOTTOM BSA 68MM
(F/R) DROPOUTS TIRE SPECIFICATIONS 12 X 100MM / 10 X 135MM WTB Venture 27.5 x 650b
SRAM APEX1 11-speed DRIVETRAIN 42t Front / 11-42 Rear
Our next bike is where the action begins to heat up. Rondo has been discreetly releasing futuristic-looking gravel bikes, such as the Ruut and Hvrt, for a few of years now.
The Booz is described as a “pure-blooded steel urban racer,” but its applications appear to be much broader. The coolest element of the 2021 Rondo Booz is without a doubt its TwinTip fork technology, which enables the user to modify the way the bike handles according to on the situation.
The axle in the “lo” position has a taller stack and slacker angles, whereas the axle in the “hi” position has steeper angles and a more aerodynamic ride position.
The build is completed by an SRAM APEX1 drivetrain, 11-42 cassette, and 650b ventures, ensuring that everyone has a fantastic time.
Related Article: How Much Bike Cost
4. Commencal FCB
Commencal FCB Flat Bar Gravel Bicycle – Commencal Fast City Bicycle – Best Flat Bar Gravel Bikes 2021 Commencal FCB Flat Bar Gravel Bikes 2021
650b X 2.1″ MAXIMUM TIRE SIZE
BOTTOM BRACKET 68 MM BSA
12 X 100MM / 12 X 142MM DROPOUTS (F/R)
WTB Venture 700x50mm TIRE SPECIFICATIONS
SRAM APEX1 11-SPEED DRIVETRAIN
40t Front / 11-42 Rear GEARING
Perhaps the most stunning bike on our list is the Commencal FCB. Commencal is well known for their mountain bikes, but they’ve elevated their Fast City Bike to new heights with a 1x drivetrain and 650b rims.
The ‘F’ might easily stand for fun, as the bike is certain to have a lively feel while handling far more than a typical CB. With its narrow 640mm handlebars, the bike leans more toward urban exploration, although those may easily be replaced out if you’d rather dodge trees than traffic.
The “Heritage Green” paint complements the original tanwall 50mm Ventures well. Commencal is presently accepting pre-orders for the 2021 FCB, which will be delivered in the spring of 2019.
PRICE $1,100 UNITED STATES DOLLARS
5. MARIN DSX 2
View the full-size image of the 2021 Marin DSX 2 flat bar gravel bike – the greatest gravel bikes of 2021.
MAX BOTTOM BRACKET SIZE 29 x 2.1″ TIRE SIZE 29 x 2.1″ Outboard Bearings That Are Sealed
(F/R) DROPOUTS 12 x 100 millimetres / 12 x 142 millimetres
TIRE SPECIFICATIONS WANTED: Riddler DRIVETRAIN 700c x 45mm Shimano Deore 12-Speed GEARING 42t Front / 10-51 Rear Shimano Deore 12-Speed GEARING 42t Front / 10-51 Rear
The all-new Marin DSX was recently released and immediately made our list of the top flat bar gravel bikes for 2021. Marin’s crew should know a thing or two about stiff rippers, and its new bike exemplifies everything this company does well.r
In comparison to other bikes on our list that share DNA with their urban forefathers, the DSX 1 and DSX 2 trims take more cues from hardtails.
The DSX was conceived as “the dirt bike for mountain bikers,” with 1x drivetrains, wide tyre clearance, and dropper post routing. The DSX is equipped with 700x45mm WTB Riddlers and has clearance for up to 29×2.1″ MTB tyres.
The DSX 2 pictured here is the higher-end version, with the primary change being updated Shimano components such as hubs, hydraulic brakes, and a Deore 12-speed transmission.
PURCHASE PRICE $1100 USD
Hey, all I am Joe Marino I love to ride bikes and teach others how to ride them. Most of my articles are about which bike is best for others. I am passionate about cycling and it shows, whether I am writing about a $25 bicycle from any random website or a $5000 Santa Cruz.
I have always been the guy who gets calls from friends while at work asking which bike they should buy. I have written about the best city bike for commuting, the best folding bike for use on public transit, and even what to keep in mind when shopping for kids’ bikes.
You can follow my blog and read all of my other articles on my website.